City Gallery Wellington welcomes school groups to experience first-hand the best New Zealand and international contemporary visual arts.
Our dynamic gallery tours and practical workshops encourage students to explore their personal responses to art works while increasing their understanding of contemporary art. Education programmes are developed and led by trained Visual Art teachers and are adapted to the Gallery's regularly changing exhibition programme. Education Programmes can be tailored to suit individual class and subject requirements.
City Gallery's Education Programmes support the New Zealand Curriculum with a focus on Visual Arts and Maori Arts and make links to Art History, English, Social Studies, Science and Technology where appropriate. A visit to the gallery is an opportunity to develop key competencies outside of the classroom and looks to:
- Develop creative, critical and analytical thinking skills
- Encourage open questioning, discussion and debate
- Enable experimentation with art making techniques and processes
- Facilitate the development of ideas knowledge and understanding
City Gallery Wellington Education Programmes are supported by the Ministry of Education's Learning Experiences Outside the Classroom initiative (LEOTC).
Exhibition Specific Programmes
- Tour only (40-60 minutes) - an engaging tour of the current exhibitions by an Educator
- Tour + workshop (1.5 hours) - tour of the current exhibitions followed by a practical workshop
- Bilingual education programmes taught in Maori
- Special artist's talks for students
- Artist-led workshops in our education studio
Gallery Tours are free
Gallery Tour and practical art-making session in the Education Studio is $3 per student.
We develop curriculum-linked resources for each major exhibition. They include artist's biography, discussion questions, pre- and post-visit activity suggestions, resource lists, and contextual information.
We offer a range of programmes to support teachers in arts education. These range from introductory exhibition tours and resource cards through to hands-on practical art-making workshops.
- Professional Development workshops for teachers
- Teachers' preview evenings and regular programme updates
- Collaborative programmes with other local institutions
- Outreach programmes - visiting schools to inform teachers and students about Arts Education and City Gallery exhibitions
All education programmes can be adapted to suit the needs of your group. Please contact our education team to find out more.
City Gallery is proud to have a Silver rating from Be. accessible