Our Commitment to Protect your Privacy
It is important that you know what personal information Experience Wellington (known here as “we”, “us” or “Experience Wellington”) collects about you and how it is used.
Experience Wellington is the parent organisation for Wellington Museum, Space Place, Nairn Street Cottage, the Cable Car Museum, Capital E, and City Gallery Wellington.
- You may book a ticket or experience (including education and venue hire) with us. In that instance we will use the information you provide to meet our obligations in delivering that service. Where you permit us, we will let you know about other events and offerings that may be of interest to you;
- If you make a donation, we may get in touch to let you know how your contribution helped keep our experiences accessible to all.
Collecting personal information
- When you create an account, book or purchase a ticket or experience, book a school visit, or hire our venue, we will collect your information depending on the experience we are providing. It may include your contact and billing information and dietary or other specific requirements. This will be collected via our website, our ticketing or booking system, or by direct contact with a team member.
- When you use our websites, we collect information such as the browser and device you are using, your IP address, your location, the site you came from, and what you did and didn’t use our site for.
- When you sign up to receive our newsletter via our websites we will retain your permission
- If you have accessibility requirements, we want to ensure you have the best experience when attending events. To do this, we need to collect details of your requirements (which may involve you providing information about your mental or physical health). This information will be collected by our online booking systems or by direct contact with a team member and will only be viewable by the necessary team members to deliver the experience.
How we use your information and why
There are several reasons why we collect your personal information, such as helping you find new experiences you will love, sharing news for marketing and fundraising purposes, and as otherwise required by law.
Part of providing you with our arts, culture, science and childrens events is understanding what you enjoy and want to know. When we know you better, we can offer you more of what you want. We only wish to contact you about things you will be interested in, so the information we collect will help us do this.
When you purchase or book an experience with us, we use your information to:
- Process payment and booking
- Provide you with customer support
For our business functions:
- For our marketing purposes.
- To send you emails including booking information, event reminders and updates.
- To create a profile about you to help us personalise our services to you. For example, if you purchase tickets to an art event and have consented to receive our emails we may notify you of other art-related Experience Wellington events we think you might be interested in.
Who we share your data with and why
We store data (including your personal information) on a secure Microsoft cloud platform, Microsoft Office 365 applications and other third-party platforms. We protect our data with all reasonable technical and process controls. We will not share your data with any third parties or partners unless we explicitly request your permission.
- In booking or purchasing tickets to our events or experiences, or by completing an online form we will store your data in our ticketing, payment, accounting, and CRM systems.
- Only team members that have role requirements will be able to access our CRM and ticketing system software.
- We will share your information with Government agencies or other authorised bodies where permitted or as required by law
- We will share your information with any successor to all or part of our business
Children and Young People
All our experiences offer entertainment and education experiences for children and young people. We will only collect and store the minimum information required to deliver these experiences, for our Ministry of Education reporting, and for marketing purposes.
In the few instances where we collect the personal information of children, we will always seek parental or caregiver consent.
Cookies and Online Visitor Tracking
Our websites issue a non-personalised “cookie” to each visitor. As you navigate our sites, your usage is tracked to help us provide a better online customer experience and improve online content. We look at repeat visitors, the length of time you spend on our websites, and navigation pathways. Cookies are also used in e-newsletters to our mailing list subscribers to personalise content and track interest via the links you click.
When you use a social media feature within our websites, and post to social media platforms, the social media site will provide us with some information about you.
Images of you
On occasion we may have a photographer or videographer at our venues or events capturing the experience. These photos or video may be shared by Experience Wellington and used to show the activities at our organisations.
If you do not wish to be photographed or appear in a video, please let our photographer or other team member know.
If we share an image of you that you don’t want to have shared, please contact us via our website.
Where you voluntarily provide information (personal and otherwise) via our surveys, we will only use that information for the specific purpose stated, including reporting requirements, funding applications, and building our understanding of our audience.
If you choose to complete an online form or contact us by email for any reason, we will only record your email address and other contact details that will enable us to respond to your enquiry or feedback. Your details will not be added to a mailing list or used for any other purposes unless you have provided your consent.
- At any time, you can opt-out of receiving our marketing communications. You can do this by unsubscribing to emails from within the email itself or by getting in touch, and we will update your preferences.
- You have the right to request access to your data and to correct it. You can do this by contacting our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking after your information
We only keep your information for as long as it is required to provide you with the services you need, for as long as you are interested in hearing from us and for any legal purposes for which we are obliged to keep the information.
We will remove subscribers after a period of inactivity in line with our policy.
We take all reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect is protected against loss, unauthorised access and disclosure or any other misuse.
City Gallery Wellington takes safety seriously. We use Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) to achieve a zero-harm environment for our visitors, team and the artwork in our care. Monitored cameras are in use throughout the public Gallery areas to ensure that all health and safety protocols are followed, and artworks are not put at risk.
Anonymised data is collected to facilitate a rapid response to any safety issues and to assist with artwork protection protocols.
All monitoring and use of CCTV footage is carried out in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020.
For privacy reasons, we do not release CCTV footage directly to the public. If you have lodged a complaint or incident with the Police, they will request footage from Wellington City Council who store the footage.